Twitter has started rolling out a new timeline feature to its Web versions and Android and iOS apps. This feature brings an option of “Show me the best Tweets first”. Enabling this option will make you see what Twitter terms as “Tweets you’re most likely to care about” appear at the top of your timeline, still in reverse chronological order”. The good part is that this is an optional feature and can be enabled or disabled from Account Settings and you may scroll to end of this article to read how to enable or disable Show me the best Tweets first” feature. This feature is not rolling out to everyone at the same time though.
This is how Twitter will choose what are the best tweets for you and how enabling this feature will impact your timeline.
When you log in to Twitter, you’ll land on your Home timeline.
- Your Home timeline displays a stream of Tweets from accounts you have chosen to follow on Twitter. You may see suggested content powered by a variety of signals. You can reply, Retweet, or like a Tweet from within the timeline.
- Tweets you are likely to care about most will show up first in your timeline. We choose them based on accounts you interact with most, Tweets you engage with, and much more. You can find instructions for how to turn off this behavior here.
- You may see a summary of the most interesting Tweets you received since your last visit, labeled as While you were away.
- You may also see content such as promoted Tweets or Retweets in your timeline.
- Additionally, when we identify a Tweet, an account to follow, or other content that’s popular or relevant, we may add it to your timeline. This means you will sometimes see Tweets from accounts you don’t follow. We select each Tweet using a variety of signals, including how popular it is and how people in your network are interacting with it. Our goal is to make your Home timeline even more relevant and interesting.
- Clicking anywhere on a Tweet in your timeline expands the Tweet, so you can see photos, videos, and other information related to that Tweet.
Where you’ll see other timelines:
- Timelines can also consist of collected Tweets from users in lists that you’ve curated or as search results.
- When you click on a list, you will see an aggregated stream of Tweets (a timeline) posted by the users included in that list.
- Similarly, when you perform a search, you’ll see a timeline of Tweets that all match your search terms.
How to Enable & Disable “Show me the best Tweets first”:
You can adjust your setting for Show me the best Tweets first by doing the following:
- Log in to your account on twitter.com and go to your Account settings page.
- Under Content, look for Timeline and toggle the box next to Show me the best Tweets first to change the setting.
Twitter for iOS:
- On your profile, tap the gear icon and select Settings.
- Tap the account whose settings you’d like to adjust.
- Under Timeline, tap Timeline personalization.
- Next to Show me the best Tweets first, tap to turn it off.
Twitter for Android:
- Tap the overflow icon
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Timeline.
- Next to Show me the best Tweets first, uncheck the box to turn it off.