There has been a raging debate over whether Facebook for Android impacts the Android OS functioning and makes it run slower. Now, a Reddit user has tested it in a rather scientific manner and the findings are really significant. It seem uninstalling Facebook and Facebook Messenger may speed up your Android by 15%, a significant improvement by any means. We will let you know how the user did the testing and also how you can remove Facebook from your Android devices if you wish to do so.
How the Reddit user did the Facebook installed vs Uninstalled comparison,
- How I tested: DiscoMark benchmarking app (available in Google Play) (it does everything automatically, no need to get your hands dirty). I chose 15 runs.
- Reboot before each run to keep things fair
- Tested apps: 20 Minuten, Kindle, AnkiDroid, ASVZ, Audible, Calculator, Camera, Chrome, Gallery, Gmail, ricardo.ch, Shazam, Spotify, Wechat, Whatsapp. Reason: I use those apps often and therefore they represent my personal usage-pattern. Everybody can use DiscoMark to these kind of experiments, and they might get different results (different phones, different usage patterns). That is how real-world performance works.
- The absolute values (i.e. speed-up in seconds) are rather meaningless and depend heavily on the type of apps chosen (and whether an app was still cached or not). The relative slow-down/speed-up is more interesting.
How to uninstall Facebook from Android:
To uninstall the Facebook app from your Android:
- Go to your Android’s settings and open your application manager
- Tap Facebook
- Tap Uninstall