As expected, Xiaomi has officially announced the second iteration to its phablet offering in the form of Mi Max 2, in Beijing, China. The Mi Max 2 much like its predecessor sports a huge 6.44 inch Full HD IPS display with 1920x1080p resolution, wrapped with the full metal unibody design for great in-hand feel.
One of the interesting feature about Mi Max 2 is the implementation of split screen multitasking. This means, Mi Max 2 is the first device to come with this feature and Xiaomi has promised to roll out the feature to other phone products, soon, with Android Nougat update.
In the recent days, most of the leaks suggested that Xiaomi may opt to put in a new Qualcomm processor i.e., 660 or 626, but the Chinese company has put more trust in power-efficient Snapdragon 625 SoC and has used the same with Mi Max 2. To compensate for the huge screen size, Xiaomi has put a 5300mAh battery which together with Snapdragon 625 should last a day or two with moderate to heavy usage, and no doubt, Mi phones are known for their exceptional battery backup.
On the contrary, a bigger battery also means more charging time. But, here too, Xiaomi has stepped up and fortunately, Mi Max 2 features Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 which is capable of charging the device up to 68% in just one hour.
Other key specs include a 12MP rear camera with Sony IMX386 sensor. According to Xiaomi, the new sensor implementation helps Mi Max 2 to produce 56% more brighter photos than the Sony IMX298 sensor on Mi Max. On the front, Xiaomi uses the same as in Mi Max with 5 megapixel sensor.
The rear facing camera is also capable of capturing Ultra HD or 4K videos, while the front sits at 1080p resolution.
Xiaomi Mi Max 2 Specifications
- Display: 6.44 inch FHD 1080p IPS
- Connectivity: 4G LTE, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth, dual SIM, USB Type-C
- Processor: 2.0GHz Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 625.
- RAM: 4 GB
- ROM: 64GB and 128GB, Micro SD expansion upto 128GB
- Camera: rear: 12 MP Sony Exmor IMX386 RS, PDAF, dual LED flash/front: 5 MP (Rear (Video) : 4k/1080p/720p video, 30 fps)
- Operating system: Android 7.1.1 Nougat with MIUI 8
- Features: Split screen multitasking , reverse charging, stereo speakers
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Ambient Light, Proximity, E-Compass, Gyroscope, Fingerprint, IR blaster, GPS, AGPS, GLONASS, Bei Dou positioning
- Battery: 5300 mAh with Qualcomm QC 3.0 (9V / 2A)
- Color: Gold
- Length: 174.1mm
- Width: 88.7mm
- Thickness: 7.6mm
- Weight: about 211g
Price and Release date
The Xiaomi Mi Max 2 comes in two different key configurations:
- 4GB+64GB (1699 Chinese Yuan / Rs 16000 approx.) Buy
- 4GB+128GB (1999 Chinese Yuan / Rs 19000 approx.) Buy
Both the variants will go in sale in China starting June 1, 2017 through online and offline channels.