Xiaomi has now officially announced their entry into the smartphone chipset segment.The company has announced a new chipset under the Xiaomi brand and is dubbed as Xiaomi Surge S1. Currently we have, Apple, Samsung and Huawei making their own chipset for smartphones. With introduction of Surge S1, the Chinese OEM has also joined the league of own chipset makers.
Now if we talk about the chipset itself, it is an Octa-Core chipset. There are 4x ARM Cortex A53 cores at 2.2GHz. The other one is 4x Cortex A53 at a frequency of 1.4Ghz . The company has used big.LITTLE architecture in Surge S1 chipset. It is made using 28nm process from TSMC. It has got Support for Mali T860 GPU. The other specifications include a new 14-bit dual ISP with upto 36MP of camera support. It has also got the dual channel LPDDR3 RAM. Camera video capture and video playback is Supported upto 4K.
- 4x ARM Cortex A53 cores at 2.2GHz & 4x Cortex A53 at a frequency of 1.4Ghz
- TSMC 28nm process
- Upto 36Mp camera with dual ISP
- Quad-core Mali T860 GPU
- Dual channel LPDDR3 RAM
- eMMC 5.0 Storage
- 4K Video playback and recording
- 2560x110pixels resolution
- AFBC + ASTC image compression technology
- 32-bit high performance DSP for voice processing
- 14-bit dual ISP; enhanced image processing capabilities
- Surge ISP algorithm improves camera light sensitivity by 150%
- Dual noise reduction algorithm reduces noise and preserves image detail in low light
- Upgradable baseband; programmable modem, OTA upgradable
- VoLTE high quality call and video support
– Chip-level security; TEE architecture, strict compliance with safety regulations
- Antutu score 64,817
Xiaomi has shown a chart of Geekbench score which shows the Surge S1 to be superior than the 14nm based Snapdragon 625 SoC.